Saturday, December 5, 2009

Girls' Weekend in SF

The weekend before Thanksgiving, I met up in San Francisco with Stacey, my best friend from high school for a much-needed girls' weekend. We had a blast - eating great food and walking a lot! We stayed at a great Marriott Hotel just off Union Square.

One of the highlights was a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour for "Wicked". I LOVE Wicked and it was so cool to see up close some of the amazing costumes and learn a little more about how the show is staged. Our tour guides were two cast members and one plays the male lead, Fiyero. All the costumes are handmade for each actor playing a particular role. We saw Glinda's bubble dress - a $34,000 dress that is the only symmetrical costume in the show, complete with caribeaner to hook her onto the bubble. We saw Elphaba's 2nd act dress - a black dress made with over 40 yards of fabric and it weighs 35 lbs. The masks are custom made for each actor. The wigs are made of real hair and get washed and restyled weekly. We saw the green baby, made out of silicone. It really gave me a great appreciation for all the work that goes into a show of that caliber.

After the tour, we put our names in a drawing for tickets for the matinee show. Names are drawn 2 hours before the show and you can purchase 2 tickets for $25 each. Stacey's name was picked and we were so excited. We were in the 6th row, but off to the side, so our view was a little obstructed. It was still amazing to see the show again and this time pay attention to the little details we learned on the tour.

We ate great food at Sears Fine Food for breakfast, the Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel for dinner, and High Tea at the Fairmont also. We did some shopping, slept in a did a lot of visiting.

It was a great weekend and I enjoyed playing tourist in our hometown. I am so grateful for Stacey's friendship. I can't wait for the next girls' trip!


1 comment:

Jennie said...

GREAT pictures and wow - I need to take that tour! Yummy food, I'm sure you had such a great, well-deserved time =)