As I was blog stalking today, it seemed like most people had a post about the Olympics, so I felt the need to chime in too. I LOVE the Olympics and one of my favorite memories was attending the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. The Dad and I still talk about how much fun we had. My earliest Olympic memory is from 1984, especially the gymnastics, and my sister and I would pretend we were Mary Lou
Retton (as I'm sure most girls did). The Dad tells me that he had the biggest crush on Mary Lou, and what 10 year old boy wouldn't! I have avidly followed every Olympics since then. Well, this year, I found myself a little slow to get into the Olympic spirit, and this was concerning to me. All that changed after watching the parade of nations in the opening ceremony and then watching this guy on Sunday:

After watching his first races, I was hooked! The Dad and I have sat holding our breath the last few nights watching the gymnastics and the swim finals. And I admit I have even choked back a tear watching Phelps and Jonathan
Horner from gymnastics. And we are so tired this week from
staying up to watch "just one more race". I feel privileged to watch Michael Phelps make history night after night.
5 comments:
I totally get that staying up too late this week - these olympics are killing me, but I LOVE it - can't wait for women's gymnastics all-around!
I have also been keeping late nights- and have been choked up a few times! Go USA!
These Olympics are going to kill me with the late nights! It's a bummer they are happening right when school starts!
GO USA!
Matt had a crush on Mary Lou Retton? Wow....I had no idea (I guess I was only 1 year old). If Steph had caught wind of that, she would have teased him to no end. Good thing he kept that crush in the closet for 24 years :o)
welcome to the world of blogging! I have been staying up watching the olympics as well, but I have been cheating a little. I just hit record and watch the rest in the morning! The swimming has been exciting, but my favorite is the gymnastics. The judging seems to be a little off, but it has still been fun.
Post a Comment