Friday, November 27, 2009

The Highlight of Thanksgiving

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving - cooking a few things here at home, taking a nap, going to my parents' house for the big feast, surrounded by all of my family, seeing the Princess enjoying the feast (she ate all her turkey and most of everything else - and was even ready to fight Uncle Hayden for a turkey leg!), watching all the cousins play together. What a great day.

But the highlight of the day, for me, came just after we got home. We had only been home a few minutes, kids were in the tub, when there was a knock on our door. I was surprised when I opened the door to find 4 missionaries standing there. Two of them serve in our ward and two in the other ward. They are some of my favorite missionaries - such a sweet spirit about them. They brought US cookies & sang us a hymn for Thanksgiving (Count Your Blessings). I felt like we should have been giving something to THEM! These young men pay their own way to come on a mission, and often, is it at great sacrifice for them & their families. I was so touched by their gesture and it was the perfect way to end Thanksgiving Day!

2 comments:

jhoopes said...

That is such a cool idea! I had never thought of singing "carols" at Thanksgiving, but why not? Way to go Elders!!!

Sistahood said...

What a great idea! Sometimes Elders do things that truly make you forget that they are 19 and 20 yr. old boys. I bet their mommas would be proud :)