My sweet husband surprised me for my birthday with a trip to San Diego to spend Labor Day weekend with my best friend Stacey. And a huge thanks also to Stacey's husband for letting her play so much during the weekend. It had to be one of the best visits we've had in a long time because we had the luxury of time, something neither of us have had much of over the last few years. I arrived on Thursday night and didn't leave until Monday morning. It was so wonderful to have that much time to spend with her & see some of my favorite places in what feels like my home town.
Friday, we had breakfast at a cute cafe in Del Mar. Then we walked around the design district in Solano Beach. We also walked around Balboa Park a little before it was time to pick her girls up from school. with the girls, we all went to the Corvette Diner for dinner - YUM! The location has changed, and in my opinion, some of the charm has been lost, but the food was still great & the waitresses still danced. I had fun sitting with Stacey's daughter Emma - our birthdays are just a day apart!
Saturday, we hiked Cowles' Mountain. We came home & showered and headed downtown. We grabbed a bite to eat & then saw a show. It was called "miXtape" and was full of 80's songs. We thought it was great! Then Stacey treated me to a lovely dinner at Prado in Balboa Park. Everything was delicious!!
Sunday, I had a chance to attend my old ward for church. I LOVE that ward! It has always had such a welcoming spirit, and it's so nice to be remembered by people in that ward. After church, I drove out to La Jolla to have lunch with my Aunt Carol, cousin Anna & her daughter, Ellie. It was so good to visit with them! And La Jolla is so beautiful! Sunday evening, Stacey & I drove over to Coronado & rode the ferry to Seaport Village. It was a beautiful ferry ride - I think San Diego has a great skyline. We walked around some of the shops - something almost impossible to do with kids in tow! We had fish & chips for dinner & rode back to Coronado.
On our way to the airport Monday, we stopped at Old Town to walk around. A lot has changed there, but it's still a fun place - and I couldn't leave without getting a churro - YUM!
I am so grateful for Stacey's friendship over the years. There is something special about having a friend who has known you for so long, knows all your stories, and loves you still! Stacey is such a great example to me as she mothers her sweet girls, too.
I am so amazed still at Matt's thoughtfulness to pull this surprise off. He was definitely busy while I was gone with the kids & all their activities, but I think they also had a lot of fun with him. I am blessed to have such a wonderful family and a great friend!

3 comments:
I love you! It was a great visit and I am just as thankful for you!
I love Corvette Diner! A San Diego classic.
So when are we getting together for a double date? Soon I hope.
Two things:
1)I LOVE that you are Stacey have been friends for so long. I totally remember meeting her at your wedding. The fact that you have remained so close over the years says volumes about both of you.
2) Kudos to Matt for pulling off such a great surprise! You guys give each other really thoughtful gifts. That's really sweet.
Post a Comment