Sunday, March 22, 2009
My Dilemma
I'm looking for some of your ideas here...My dilemma is I currently try to keep a scrapbook with pictures of our family activities & events. Then, I enjoy keeping the blog updated and I usually include pictures & journaling that would be similar to what I do in the scrapbook - so I'm doing it twice! Do I just go to a Blurb book of the blog & count that as my scrapbook? Keep doing both? What about my journal, because I'm not going to write everything here that I would in my personal journal? Ever feel like you're going in a million directions at the same time?!? What do you all do to appropriately document your families?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Sorry, Hannah... I wish I had answers on this one... I definitely relate to the dilemma.
I don't know if I will ever feel that I have documented my family well enough (I think that isn't proper grammar). I do write in my journal, but it is more my thoughts than an account of the day. I don't scrapbook, and it has taken me 5 years to not feel guilty about that. My kids will look back and wonder where their lives went!
I feel your pain! I struggle with the same dilemma and so far am failing at scrapbooking and blogging. I usually fall asleep when I am writing in my journal so it ends up being a bit of a dream record! So, if you find the answer, please pass it on. I have loved seeing you in quilting class!
Hannah--I totally understand your problem. I guess this is my solution: Journaling for me, blogging for others and scrapbooking nonexistent! I love that others are so good at scrapbooking, but I just don't have the time---I like my other crafts too much. As far a journal goes, I found this great site-- ldsjournal.com I love it cause I find myself at the computer, wanting something to do so I don't have to get up and do chores, so I write in my journal. Then when you have it full up, you can get it printed for like $20. I haven't printed yet, but that's what I understand. I sometimes copy/paste to or from my blog, too. Anyway, good luck finding your balance. (And please don't stop blogging, I love to see your family!!!)
I felt the same way with Facebook and the blog. I was duplicating everything. I think there are sites that can have you link them, but I just gave up on Facebook a while ago and stick to making the blog better, although Nancy has been doing more of the blog lately.
As for a journal, I haven't written in one since my mission. I always think that there isn't anything nearly interesting enough in my life worth immortalizing. I know, not a good thing to think, but that is what runs through my head everytime I sit down to write something. I am just happy we have the blog, otherwise we wouldn't have any record other than thousands of digital pictures trapped on my hard drive.
Here's my thought. I do the blog (and am going to do a hard copy of it each year) for the family. I haven't been good at keeping my scrapbooks up and so for now I am using the blog in place of that. Also, the way I do scrapbooks I tend to use more pictures and less description than I do with the blog. And as far as a journal, I don't keep that really well, but when I do, it's a lot more personal than the blog or scrapbook ever would be. So, basically I'd do all 3. The thing I like about the blog is that I can write a 5 minute post and add a picture and be done. When I have time I can update my scrapbook, but until then I have some documentation. If I ever sit down and finish my blurb book, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Post a Comment