Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Traumatic Elmo Movie
Yesterday, my mom and I took the kids to see "Elmo in Grouchland" at one of our local theaters that is doing a summer dollar movie every week. I thought this would be a good choice as the Princess has really enjoyed "movie shows" lately and the Buddy loves Elmo & Sesame Street and I thought this would hold his attention okay. We arrived a little early, found our seats and pulled out the arsenal of snacks I stashed in my purse. The movie started and all seemed good until it was revealed that the whole movie hinges around Elmo losing his favorite blanket and a bad guy takes it and Elmo has to go get it back. Now, I should say at this point that the Princess has her own favorite blanket that she must have to go to sleep and it goes just about everywhere with us. Well, as soon as she realized that Elmo's blanket was gone, she became quite sad and as the movie progressed, became even more sad - we're talking tears now - and I had to take her out of the theater. After calming down a little, she said she wanted to go back in and see Elmo get the blanket back. We were doing okay, but now the Buddy was starting to get quite restless. He said he was all done. I asked the Princess if she wanted to go, and she said yes. So with probably 15 minutes left in the movie, we were back at the car. The Princess was still quite upset by the whole blanket predicament, but at least back at the car, she had her own blanket back. We went back to my mom's house for the kids to play. We had the Princess tell my dad and sis-in-law about the movie and she would break into tears just talking about it! She did the same thing to her Dad when we called him on the phone. It was so cute to watch, and more than a little funny, but at the same time, her emotion and concern was so real to her, that I felt sad for her too. I think that movie just seemed a little to real to her and hit a little too close to home. Now I need to rent that movie and show her the last 15 minutes so she can be assured Elmo really does get his blanket back in the end!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Molly would be traumatized too to think about her own blankie being stolen! Sometimes I think they need to give kid type warnings for movies, like "Warning: Movie contains images that might be frightening to young children: blankets being stolen, kids getting lost, mommies and daddies in trouble, etc.!"
Post a Comment