Saturday, October 11, 2008

First ER Visit

I can't believe we made it through almost 6 years as parents before having to take one of our kids to the ER. Well, our first visit came last night with the Princess.

First, a little background. She had been acting sick all day - lying on the floor, very lethargic, even sleeping on the floor, not a huge appetite, but NO fever. I asked her if she hurt anywhere and she pointed to her back/kidneys. Later she complained that it hurt when she went pee. At first, the Dad and I decided that we would see how she was on Saturday morning, and try to get her into the doctor, if needed.

Well, last night I was out with my wonderful girlfriends and I was telling them about the Princess's symptoms and being the expert moms (and 1 is a nurse) they are, they suggested she might have a bladder infection (several of them have girls too) and we should call the doctor right away. So I stepped away from the table for a minute to phone the Dad and tell him to call the Kaiser advice nurse (love that service!) and try to get the Princess an appointment for the morning. Well, the advice nurse decided that the Princess needed to be seen right away and so he packed her up and headed over to the ER.

A little side note: the Buddy was already spending the night with his Nana, so at least the Dad didn't have to worry about finding someone to watch him.

The Dad called me as we finished our dinner and my good friend drove me over to the ER. We waited and waited. They took her temp - still no fever - and took a urine sample. We saw the ER doctor after the sample was tested. Result: no infection. He sent us home and she has been totally fine this morning.

So thankfully our visit had an anticlimactic ending, but we're glad she's okay. We're still not sure what made her so sick yesterday, but it seems to be gone today! Hopefully we won't have to visit the ER again any time soon!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Boring endings are always better with ER trips! Glad the princess is feeling better. What a scare!

Schell Family said...

I'm so glad it turned out alright!

Tom Martin said...

6 years and no ER visits, wow, how did you guys luck out? We spent 6 days at Children's Hospital with our son when he was 3 months old with RSV. That is no fun. Thank goodness your visit was short and all ended up well. Now you can wait another 6 years for the next visit.